Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Death Valley In Color


I have done a whole series of these shots in black and white on my photo website, but wanted to get one in color. So I decided to put some of my new photoshop skills to the test.

This shot was taken in Death Valley about 1 hour before sunset. I used my Canon 5D Mk II with a 24-105 zoom at 105mm focal length. F/14 at 1/60 was the exposure. ISO 100. I was hoping for the side light and long shadow and got them. However, the sky on this shot was washed out and the mountains in the background were hazy.

In photoshop, I spotted the bushes and the footprints out of the dunes. Next I increased the overall contrast. Then I de-saturated the mountains to get rid of the blue haze and make them stand out more from the sky. I de-saturated the dunes removing color. I then sampled the dunes in the original background to get a more uniform color. And repainted them with it. Finally, I darkened the sky and added some magenta.

No comments:

Post a Comment